25 March, 2010

Day 11 - Experimenting

Last day of liquids only today and I did a little experimenting.  It was not pre-meditated, I assure you that.  But we'll get to that part in a minute.

Highs:
I feel so good.  I'm not jumpy, antsy, or twitchy; and on the other spectrum - I"m not tired, foggy, or lacking for energy.  No, not at all and I attribute that to my lack of caffeine.  I knew that's what would happen as I've kicked the caffeine addiction once before in the distant past. That was back when I figured out that if I needed a jolt to stay away for like a road trip or something, in that case I could have a fully caffeinated cup of coffee.  Plus, the buzz you get is awesome when you have your first dose of caffeine.  It must be like a drug addict trying a new drug for the first time.  But the good times never last and you spend the next days of your life trying to get that same high but it's just never like the first time.   So let's just say, I'm learning to love my decaf coffee.

Lows:
About 4pm yesterday, my body had a little conversation with itself.  My stomache told my brain that I needed to munch on something.  My brain for once agreed and told my body to go see what the store downstairs had that would be acceptable to eat.  My instincts then said hey, wait, today is a liquid day, you can't eat.  My brain then squashed my instinct to pieces and my body went down to the store and bought a handful of cashews that just happened to be covered in chocolate and then it gave them to my stomach.  I was powerless you see.  They did this all without me.  I tell you it was strange.

Let's get down to the experimentation part.  Tonight we headed out to the Blazer game.  I was so excited to go and watch people all around me eating popcorn, drinking wine, and munching on 2 foot long twizzlers.  Yeah, a lot of fun, I tell you.  I tried to focus on the game but I couldn't help thinking how rude it was of all these fans to eat in front of me.  Finally, I decided to experiment.  I bet I could get a killer buzz if I had a beer on what was a pretty much empty stomach.  Warren acquiesed and bought me a beer.  Oh, it was heavenly and I milked through the full 2nd quarter of the game.  At the same time, he also bought himself some nachos.  I allowed an experimental bite of those for myself - just two chips - you can ask him.  Then after half-time, he said he needed a snack, so I told him to get a bowl of ice cream, his body would thank him for that.  He fed me bite after bite.  The ice cream was so sweet.  After not having any sweets, I almost couldn't stomach the sweetness but trust me, I tried.  It was about 5 minutes after we finished the bowl, that I realized I hadn't had any milk or dairy for 11 days until now.  How weird milk tastes when you haven't had it in a while.  It's almost not palatable - the aftertaste part.  I even had this greasy film all over the inside of my mouth on my teeth, tongue and lips. 

Well, I think it was a good experiment because I decided right then and there that after this cleanse I will lay off the dairy as much as possible.  And the fake cheese all over the stale nacho chips really wasn't as good as I remember it.  I'm happy to report though that the highlight of my experimentation was the beer.  It was as good if not even better than I remember it.  I had the loveliest buzz for the rest of the game as I sat there in the stands with a shit eating grin on my face.  Sadly, the experiment is over and it's back down to business tomorrow morning.  The scientist in me must now go away.  I just hope that all of this scientific work doesn't start my armpits itching again!

No comments:

Post a Comment